‘Ghost indicators’ open window to previous lives of Colorado Springs buildings | Subscriber-Solely Content material

Ongoing renovations on the former Subway store at Tejon and Bijou streets downtown uncovered an…

Ongoing renovations on the former Subway store at Tejon and Bijou streets downtown uncovered an indication for the historic Barthels — and unlocked recollections for longtime residents who fondly recall the highschool hangout and household gathering spot.



Throughout constructing renovation, an indication for the historic Barthels was uncovered.



The constructing is being transformed into Dos Dos, a Dos Santos Tacos spinoff. However for now, the signal partially hidden behind a development fence presents a visit down reminiscence lane, a peek at a previous life for the constructing.



Uncovered signal brings again recollections in Colorado Springs

On many different downtown Colorado Springs buildings, indicators stay that additionally supply a window into the previous. Some are outstanding, others straightforward to overlook. Many are what’s generally known as “ghost indicators” — outdated, hand-painted promoting indicators which have remained at the same time as these companies they promote are lengthy gone. Right here’s a have a look at a few of these buildings and their histories.

Bijou Lofts (above former Colburn Motor Excursions), 117 E. Bijou; Daniels Loft Constructing (as soon as Daniels Furnishings), 108 N. Tejon; Carriage Home Lofts (Carriage Home), 115 N. Tejon

The Walston Group, headed by “Loft Woman” Janelle Walston, was a companion within the improvement and development of those and different downtown loft initiatives and markets the properties. These three initiatives all carry reminders of their pasts: The Colburn Motor Excursions signal sits beneath a second story constructed for the Bijou Lofts; the Daniels Furnishings Retailer signal is on the higher north wall of Daniels Lofts; and the Carriage Home signal is on the north aspect of the Carriage Home Lofts constructing, which additionally homes Portray With A Twist.  

Preserving these indicators is a technique to honor what was there earlier than, says Charise Boomsma, who’s Janelle Walston’s daughter, an architectural historian and challenge designer and supervisor for the Walston Group Particular Initiatives Group.

“Once we uncovered that Colburn Motor signal,” she says, “it was like, wow, we actually wish to protect this so everybody can see what was there.”







colburn1.jpg

The Colburn Motor Excursions signal beneath Bijou Lofts in downtown Colorado Springs.



The enterprise was owned by Walter Colburn, remembered as “the dean emeritus of Colorado Springs tour drives” upon his retirement in 1953. His profession took him from horse-drawn carriages to autos to railroad motor excursions. He additionally began a taxi service in 1915 when vehicles have been simply coming onto the scene. One other declare to fame: He operated “Bathhouse” John Coughlin’s Zoo Park, an early 1900s attraction in Colorado Springs hailed because the “Coney Island of the West.”







building daniels

The Daniels Furnishings signal, as seen from road degree.


Daniels Residence Furnishings occupied what’s now the Daniels Loft constructing from 1913-1941, based on a historical past gathered by Boomsma; the Daniels household lived above the shop. In earlier years, it was house to Colorado Springs Furnishings after which Fred S. Tucker Furnishings Retailer; in later years, it was a Gart Sports activities location earlier than the renovation into lofts in 2000.







building carriage

The Carriage Home signal on the north wall of the Carriage Lofts constructing.


The Carriage Home started as a livery and carriage cupboard space, based on The Walston Group web site. Whereas the Carriage Home signal has been touched up and repainted a bit, Boomsma stated, the Daniels Furnishings signal is “fully unique.”

Hibbard & Co., 17-19 S. Tejon St.







building hibbard

Invoice Radford, The Gazette


The Hibbard & Co. division retailer — “you may all the time discover it at Hibbard’s” was the slogan — was a Colorado Springs establishment. It was based in 1892 by Cassius Hibbard at Tejon and Pikes Peak Avenue, then moved to the constructing at 17-19 S. Tejon, which was constructed in 1914, based on Gazette archives. The shop, operated by Hibbard household descendants over the a long time, closed in 1996. The constructing was then transformed to accommodate retail and workplaces; Chipotle Mexican Grill is among the many companies there. After greater than a century of Hibbard household possession, the constructing was bought a few years in the past to a suburban Denver industrial actual property firm.

Cheyenne Constructing, 2 E. Pikes Peak Ave.







Cheyenne Hotel1.jpg

The Cheyenne Resort, now Phantom Canyon Brewing Co., in downtown Colorado Springs.



The Cheyenne Constructing was constructed in 1901 as an workplace advanced, with sleeping quarters on its higher flooring for brokers with the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. It served as a lodge from 1909 to 1963, “specializing in the enterprise traveler and vacationers who most well-liked lodging much less lavish than the Antlers or Acacia Park motels,” based on an outline on the Springs’ authorities web site. It was slated for demolition, to make room for a parking zone, earlier than it was purchased in 1991 by John Hickenlooper (former governor, present U.S. senator and co-founder of Wynkoop Brewing Co.). Wynkoop opened Phantom Canyon Brewing Co. on the website two years later. 


 Dern Constructing, 26-28 S. Tejon St.







Dern building2.jpg

The Dern Constructing on South Tejon Road in downtown Colorado Springs.



The constructing, inbuilt 1911, is so named as a result of it initially housed the Dern Meals Co., which imported tea and occasional and made sweet on website. “You wouldn’t purchase stale bread,” a 1907 advert for The Dern Tea & Espresso Co. learn, with the enterprise then at 29 S. Tejon. “Why purchase stale espresso? We ship to you Recent from the Roaster.”

In keeping with a earlier Gazette story, The Dern Meals Co. occupied half of the constructing till the late Fifties; the opposite half was house to quite a lot of companies over time, together with Kaufman’s Division Retailer and Hatch’s, an equipment, jewellery, radio and tv retailer. The Dern Constructing is now house to City Egg a Daytime Eatery and numerous workplaces.


Municipal Utilities Constructing, 18 S. Nevada Ave.







goldroom

The Gold Room, previously the Municipal Utilities constructing, in downtown Colorado Springs.


This constructing was constructed in 1931 with Colorado Springs Utilities revenues for the aim of transacting Utilities enterprise and the cost of payments. It’s now house to The Gold Room, touted as “a state-of-the-art dwell efficiency corridor.” Town says the constructing is taken into account the perfect instance of the Artwork Deco fashion in Colorado Springs.


Lennox Constructing, 226-228 N. Tejon St.







building lennox

The Lennox signal continues to be barely seen on the constructing on North Tejon Road in downtown Colorado Springs.


This 1902 constructing was erected by William Lennox, who made his fortune mining gold in Cripple Creek, to offer furnished rooms on the higher flooring and storefronts on the primary ground. The 2 first-floor storefronts housed at numerous instances a music retailer, a creamery and a grocery retailer. The higher flooring supplied furnished rooms — first because the Lennox Resort earlier than changing into the Albany Resort, now Albany Residences, by 1921. The primary-floor storefront at 226 N. Tejon was the longtime house to Mountain Chalet earlier than the store moved to North Nevada Avenue a couple of years in the past.

Van Dyke Constructing, 104-110 S. Weber St.

The property on South Weber is now house to Eye Care Middle of Colorado Springs and different companies. Nevertheless it showcases components of its historical past with a pale Davidson Dairy Co. signal on the east aspect and a Colorado Springs Auto Elements signal on the west aspect.







d-dairy

The Davidson Dairy Co. “ghost signal” on South Weber Road.


The Van Dyke Constructing, 110 S. Weber, seems to have been constructed in 1902 as a storage facility for horses and carriages, based on the town; it’s linked to a constructing constructed in 1905, based on land data. Within the Nineteen Twenties, the Van Dyke Constructing was purchased by the Van Dyke Motor Co. to offer car restore and repair related to its Studebaker showroom on South Nevada Avenue; it was used as an auto restore store till the early Sixties, the town historical past exhibits, and later transformed into an workplace constructing.

Davidson Dairy seems to have moved round a bit. An advert in The Gazette in 1911 — “Our costs are essentially the most cheap within the metropolis,” the advert proclaimed — put the deal with on Cucharras Road, whereas a 1920 metropolis listing lists the dairy on Tejon Road. However the 1922 listing has it at 106 S. Weber.

Michael Collins, a retired architect, as soon as owned the South Weber buildings and had his workplace there. He labored on a number of restoration initiatives within the downtown space. When it got here to the South Weber property, he was intent on preserving the outdated indicators. They’re half, he says, “of the early texture of the town and a part of the historical past of the town.”



Strolling Tour – Historic Tejon Road between Colorado and Platte

See also  Industrial crops, industrial buildings large winners as N.B. property tax payments exit